Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

About Me




Picture of Adina SullivanMy name is Adina Sullivan. I'm an educator and proud of it! After a just a couple of other ideas (chef and educational psychologist), I knew I wanted to be a teacher.  The teachers I had during my school career, both good and bad, helped shape this decision. From Kindergarten through 2nd grade, I went to school at Canoga Park Elementary in the San Fernando Valley. Because I was already a good reader when I started school, I was placed in grades above mine for language arts. I don't remember reading in those classes, just the kid who sat next to me and bugged me everyday. At the end of 2nd grade, we moved to Escondido and I attended Conway from 3rd to 5th grade. Except for my 4th grade teacher (seriously not a kind man), I had a great experience. One of my favorite things to do was listen to the teacher read-aloud from books like Charlotte's Web. Middle School was a whole new ball-game. After starting a few weeks of 6th grade at Grant, we moved, and I went to Del Dios. The schools were on a year-round schedule, and when we moved, I was on a new track that was a couple of months ahead of where I was before. For the the first time, I was behind in school. Add the joys of hormone changes and you have one miserable kid. It took until 7th and 8th grade before I found my footing, friends, and fun. Escondido High School was the finale to my K-12 education. I was an average student, excelling in some classes and struggling in others (Geometry - gah!). I loved my friends and the extra-curricular activities, but knew college, with all it's freedoms was where I really wanted to be. I worked my way through school, so my college journey took a little longer than expected. Palomar and CSUSM got me through my BA and Multiple Subject Teaching Credential. After a Master's Degree (online) at Nova Southeastern University, I think I am now done with my college education. That doesn't mean I am done with my learning. I still continue to pursue certifications and other learning opportunities. Two online teaching certifications (UCSD and Leading Edge) and Google Teacher Certification are just two examples of how I maintain skills and grow as an education professional.

My interest in technology began in high school with a programming class. I didn't get to use computers as a regular part of my work and learning until much later. Especially in the workplace (even before teaching), I was someone others would go to and rely on to help them use technology effectively. That doesn't mean I'm an expert. I just have an interest in what's new, the persistence to seek out how to do things, and the belief that technology is now a critical part of teaching and learning. That said, I don't believe that technology is always the right answer. It's about choosing the best tool/method for the job. Always start with the purpose or intention.

The CSUSM/SOE Mission Statement is one with several parts that connect for me, but the one that stands is out is "Create community through partnerships". Though it wasn't a factor in my decision to attend CSUSM, it's a critical factor in my success as an educator. Gone are the days when it is it OK to close your classroom door and do what you want. We must now share with each other, learn from each other, and work together to ensure we are providing to best possible educational experience for students. For me this means collaborating with colleagues in my own district as well as using social media to connect to others around the world. Having the opportunity to now share with and learn from all of you in EDUC 422 just adds to that wealth of knowledge and ideas. I'm looking forward to a great semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment